Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Paris, Je t'aime!


When I was in the 5th grade picking classes was one of the most exciting days of the year.  Going to middle school was exciting enough, but we were finally able to pick whatever classes we wanted to take.  One of the big decisions was what foreign language we would take.  We had the choice of Spanish or French.  After weighing the pros and cons of each class I decided upon French class because in 7th and 8th grade we got to go on a field trip to Canada.  Good decision making skills right?  So from 7th grade to Freshman year of college, 7 years, I took French.  I began taking French for a trip to Canada, but I fell in love with the language.  I was never the best at it, but I enjoyed it so much.  After 7 years, one of the best teachers I have ever had, and a love of the French language I finally was able to make a dream come true of going to Paris and using the language I had come to love so much.  Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I ever made for more reasons than one, but I found that traveling around Europe was one of the best parts.  And guess what Paris was incredible!
Rylee and I woke up at 3am to catch our 6:45am flight to Paris Beauvais airport.  After a public transport bus, a 20 minute stop waiting for some cars to move, a Terravision bus to the airport and a 2 hour flight we arrived.  We than had to take another bus for an hour and a half to the city center.  Our first task was figuring out the metro system.  I had heard so many great things about the metro, except that is was pretty expensive.  Luckily, my high school French teacher, Madame Baker, gave me lots of tips on what to do.  We got on the metro and headed to our hostel.  I was super nervous about the hostel since the reviews were pretty bad and we have had some other bad hostel experiences, but it turned out to be really great, and thank God. We headed into the city and our first stop was the Arc de Triomphe.  We climbed the Arc and it was the most incredible view of Paris.  It was truly breathtaking.  
After the Arc de Triomphe we walked down the Champs Elysees toward the Christmas markets.  It was amazing!  The shops we cute and I loved the Christmas market.  The streets were lined with Christmas lights, Santa was taking pictures with children, and there were booths full of French food and gifts!  Rylee and I got our first crepe with Nutella in Paris and it was delicious.  We ate our crepes and made our way over to the Louvre.  As we got there the sun started to set and the colors were beautiful.  We made our way in (its free for students!) and explored.  We went to the Mona Lisa, La Joconde, in French and it was much smaller than I originally imagined.  It was pretty cool to see!  After we headed out and began walking around Paris.  We found the love lock bridge, watched the sunset, and got a great view of the Eiffel Tower.  After we went to Notre Dame for Mass.  It was really amazing!  The gothic church was beautiful!  Tim recommended a great bookshop near Notre Dame and we went there after Mass.  It was the coolest bookshop I've ever been in!  Once we explored the shop we got French onion soup from the Christmas market and then headed back to the hostel for the night.
We slept in the next morning and then headed office to Versailles for the after noon.  We got there and were super hungry, so we bought a baguette.  What a French thing to do!  We walked and ate our baguette and finally arrived at the Chateau Versailles!  We went inside and explore the rooms, saw the bed of Marie Antoinette, and walked around the gardens.  It was beautiful!!  I loved it!  After exploring Rylee and I headed back to Paris.  We went back to Notre Dame to take pictures and walked around for the rest of the night!  We had another crepe and walked through the market again.  We went over to the Eiffel Tower to see the light show.  It was truly magical.  We went and sat by the tower, took some pictures and made our way to the Champs Elysees again.  It was cool to start and end our trip at the same spot!  After we went back to the hostel and headed back to Rome early the next morning. Paris was one of my favorite cities! I loved it and I hope to go back someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment