Tuesday, November 27, 2012

“Lord, make me an instrument of your peace..."


These past few weeks have been so full of excitement! First was the realization that as of now we only have three more weeks here in Rome...unreal!  Second was all of the work coming up in these last few weeks.  And third was coming up with all of the things I want to do before I leave.  I am beginning to get to a point where I am really wanting to be at home. A week and a half ago my dad had an accident at work, fell off a ladder, broke his leg, and had to get surgery.  It was really difficult to not be able to communicate with him to find out how he was doing, how the surgery went, or even just to tell him that I was praying for him.  I'm happy to say that he made it through okay--luckily, but it may be a long recovery.  So, my family has really been on my mind lately.  Aside for the slight home sickness these past two weeks have been amazing and I'm sure the next three will be just as great!  
Last week was family and even though my family wasn't here I still had an awesome time, mostly thanks to the Magee's! On Saturday we had a class trip to Assisi for the beginning of family week.  We left on an early train and were set to see lots of churches! Our first stop off the train was the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli at the foot of the Assisi hills. This is the church where St. Francis was called to his vocation and began his life of poverty.  After exploring the church we took a us bus up to the hills of Assisi. Our first stop was the Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi, built for St. Francis.  Before we went into the church Dr. Dawson was giving us some information on the Church, the history of St. Francis and the history of Assisi.  We were all sitting under a covered walkway when I felt a thump on my head.  At first I ignored it, thinking a rock or nut fell and hit me on the head, but a few minutes later I touched the top of my head and there was a large clump of bird poop. Yup, that's right I got pooped on by a pigeon.  Everyone was saying that its good luck, but I think thats just a dumb thing to say to make people feel better.  Thank God for Tori, who was amazing and got me a napkin to clean out my hair. After the bird fiasco of 2012 we went into the church. We walked around the Basilica of St. Francis and were able to see the relics of St. Francis!  

After seeing the Basilica we had a break for lunch and shopping. Rylee's parents invited me to lunch, so we went to a nice restaurant off of one of the main streets in Assisi.  I has some delicious lamb and potatoes.  It was great to have a nice meal and catch up with them!  After lunch we walked around Assisi and went into a few shops.  Assisi is where the original Nativity scene was created, so we walked into many shops with beautiful Nativities.  We grabbed dessert at a pastry shop and saw the Cathedral of Assisi, San Rufino. We met up with the rest of the class to see the Basilica di Santa Chiara, the Basilica of St. Clare.  There we explored the church and saw some of the clothes of St. Francis and Clare and the relics of St. Clare.  Probably the coolest thing we saw the the hair of St. Clare when she cut it all off when joining St. Francis.  After the Basilica of St. Clare we had one more church to see, San Damiano.  Tuscany is a beautiful area and it was perfect Fall!  While walking to San Damiano we were admiring the views with the colored leaves, vineyards, and olive trees.  We walked down a steep hill to San Damiano to see the home church of St. Francis.  It was amazing.  We had an amazing time in Assisi and it was an incredible pilgrimage and experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment